Tuesday 16 September 2008

Vacations and Chess

Here I am… back from a 2 week vacations.

It was cool since it gave me time to sleep a lot - and I badly needed it because work consumed most of my awakened hours of the last weeks, and a lot of hours when I should be sleeping - and to play in a chess tournament in Amadora (linky).

The tournament was cool. I ended up in 11th, with the same points of the guy that ended up in 7th. It wasn't bad at all for me - I actually wasn't expecting to have so many points. My ELO rating is around 1807 right now, but I'm going to have a big fall on the next list. This is mostly due to some really bad games I played in the last epoch. Since my rating is quite recent (1807 is my first international rating) each defeat costs me a lot of points.

Anyway, having a good ELO is cool because it kind of serves as a comparison between players, but playing chess just for the sake of ELO is not my objective. I believe that if you really are good at it, sooner or later, your ELO will follow you. Too bad I'm not really good at it right now :(. Unfortunately, some players seem to take it the other way around: they get obsessed with their ELO and they start playing for the sake of it. Now, where's the fun in that? I don't think they actually enjoy much of the game when they get to that condition. And if you aren't having fun playing chess, why should you bother playing it at all?

No comments: