Tuesday 26 August 2008

White Wolf


A while back I mentioned David Gemmell's Troy trilogy. That reminded me of the first David Gemmell's book I've read years ago: White Wolf. On White Wolf, we follow the story of Skilgannon, a warrior who gained the nickname of "the damned". I've read this book in Portuguese (I actually like the Portuguese cover better than the original one) and it's one the few non-technical books that I've read several times. Gemmell tells an adventurous tale of both a passionate and tormented warrior. Within the story, Skilgannon meets Druss (one of the first heroes created by David Gemmell) and the two warriors join forces in a suicidal journey. Besides the detailed combat scenes and the twists in the story, it is the complexity of the characters that I find appealing in this book. Some of Skilgannon reactions even reminded me of myself - no wonder I felt something personal when I've read this book. Also interesting is the constant tons of grey that are recurrent in the story. No one is always 100% bad or 100% good. Sometimes, everyone crosses the frontier between good and bad… and it is indeed a very grey and not strictly defined area. It reminds me of a famous phrase: No one is as bad as he thinks he is, nor as good as others think he is. A book I recommend to those who like fantasy books.

No comments: